Friday, January 8, 2010

“52 weeks of Gourmet Low Cholesterol Food” or “My Grand New’s Year Plan that lasted One Week”

My husband has a rare unnaturally high cholesterol. He doesn’t get rid of it on his own and a machine does it for him once every two weeks at the KU Med center. Kind of like Dialysis but for cholesterol. Our diet is very “clean”. There is not much left to eliminate, we skip the fatty stuff include the good stuff.
Being the control freak that I am, I wanted to do more. I got the idea that maybe I could revamp recipes, something delicious into delicious and healthy. Then my mind drifts, as it always does to “Julie and Julia”. This could be a year long blog project that will turn into a best selling book and movie. Actually, realistically, I’m happy with one recipe in one week. Little victories, I’ll take them.
I attacked homemade tomato soup. Not known for for it’s evil cholesterol but good homemade versions have butter and cream. I substituted olive oil and whole milk (don’t freak out, just a little). 3/4 cup of whole milk has 6 grams of fat, none of which are “trans fats”. This soup serves 4 to 6 people. You can do the math. Heavy Cream, Whipping Cream, and even 1/2 and 1/2 are bad for you BUT if you used 2% or fat free milk would you eat the soup? Then you miss the goodness that the tomatoes, vegies and olive oil give you. Choose your battles, it’s just like raising toddlers.
I roast the tomatoes to condense and sweeten their flavor and I stay away from classic Italian flavors like garlic, basil, and oregano. I’ve had homemade yummy soup like this in restaurants but it flirts with a thin pasta sauce sometimes. I use thyme because I think it is an under appreciated herb and makes me think dreamily of my fresh thyme that marches across my herb garden each summer.
The biggest problem with this recipe from a nutrition point of view is that your soul will crave grilled cheese sandwiches and this is the time to be strong. Know that the soup stands alone and a hunk of sourdough bread dipped into the mug or bowl will do the trick.

The Healthier Side of Homemade Tomato Soup
2 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 celery, diced
1/4 carrot, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup whole milk
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees .
Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet (that you have lined with foil for easy cleanup), season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and roast for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion, cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, and thyme. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth. or in batches in a regular blender. It does not have to be perfectly smooth, check seasoning (may need a little more salt) Return to saucepan, add milk, heat and serve.

2 comments:

jfallone said...

I still hear Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Bacon whispering softly to me when the moon is full and the wind just right...

susie.crowther said...

I think it's time for another week. Just one. More recipe.

Come ON. It's summer!