Friday, September 11, 2009

The Myth of Comfort Food

I heard someone say on television yesterday that “In today’s economy, everyone wants to dive into some comfort food”. I think today’s economy is what is preventing me from diving into some comfort food. Comfort food is so trendy right now. But often the recipes will lean towards a Macaroni and Cheese or Beef Stew, simple things with affordable ingredients. That is what is supposed to comfort you; this is what we are told. That is not what comforts me and that’s where the “affordable” aspect clashes with the whole concept and has left me hanging when I was “laid off” from my job.
When all of a sudden a 2 income family loses half of their finances the grocery list is one of the things that suffer. As I continue to tweak and revise my resume looking for something to compliment the not always lucrative world of food photography and styling, I want to turn to my comfort food but it is never in the budget. It’s a true catch 22. I lost my job, I need comfort food. I can’t afford comfort food because I lost my job.
Here is some of what I turn to when I need an indulgence pick me up and even shore up my self-esteem (why, yes, I’m that shallow)
Champagne (not Andre)
Häagen-Dazs
Chocolate (the good stuff)
Fresh Figs and Honeydew Melon wrapped in Prosciutto
Sushi (not California rolls)
Terra Sweet Potato Chips
Good Croissants
Caviar on Toast Points
Anything with Chevre or Mascarpone cheese
“Farm to Market” Bread (if you’ve had it, you’ll know) dipped in good olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Fresh Raspberries
And Eating anyplace that the food is brought to me and shortly there after a nice young person asks me if everything is O.K. and do I need anything? Perhaps another drink?
That is food that makes me feel better. I know there are people that would be comforted with a hot meal and a safe place to stay. I know this, my heart breaks for them. I’m just talking about my own selfish longings. I want to dive into some comfort food; I don’t have the money to indulge so I can’t comfort myself because I lost my stupid job.
On to changing the fonts in my resume….

No comments: