Friday, September 11, 2009

Wedding Food

If you look at my wedding album you will see all of the obligatory wedding shots, me, looking awesome, my husband, white and hyperventilating with nerves, my parents, my in-laws, all the standard stuff. You will also see lots of pictures of food. Probably half of all the shots in the album are of food. When my husband proposed to me I was not immediately giddy with visions of a white princess gown but more of the visions of how beautiful the food would and should look.The first thing I did to plan my wedding was to make a major purchase in Martha Stewart's first book, Entertaining. I paid the full $35.00 for it (24 years ago) which I could ill afford, but it contained my very vision of the perfect wedding. When sitting down with the chef who would execute the day for me I pointed to pictures (pages 63, 65, 71, 293)Even the cake was directly from the book (page 275), made for me by my awesome friend, Susie Fagelson, fresh out of the Culinary Institute of America. Instead of typical plastic coloumn risers she used upside down cordial glasses from my gift registry. It was, of course, very visual. I hear it tasted really good. Jim and I only had a small bite but the guests were going back for 2nds and 3rds (they even ate the top).When people talked about the wedding they talked about the party, and the food. Tables of fruit, cheese, vegetables, pate, breads, all the works. Just what I envisioned. Maybe not the whole roasted pig paraded through the middle of the party but I married a Mexican and that wasn't up for negotiation. He got his pig.I remember everything clearly about that day. The beautiful weather, my loving family, my little brother and his band, Stately Wayne Manor, playing surf music. I remember Bethany Appleby dancing barefoot when she sang our song (Tequila). I remember my Uncle Piggy leading the Conga line with the incredible Steve and Maureen Murphy rocking out in the 2nd and 3rd position in that line.I can remember almost everyone who came that day, but mostly when I remember that day I remember how perfect the food looked. If I had been allowed I would have had my camera slung over my shoulder and I would have taken many more photos.

No comments: